Maintaining clear glowing skin is not only about having a great skin care routine. Good nutrition is the fundamental building blocks of great skin. Nourishing your skin with food from the inside out will provide your body with the nutrients to renew and repair your skin, improving its texture, strength and hydration and will give your skin a glowing appearance.
Here are my favourite foods for healthy glowing skin:
1. Omega 3s (ALA, DHA, EPA): oily fish (salmon, sardines, tuna), chia seeds, walnuts, and flaxseeds. Omega 3 healthy fatty acids are responsible for making our cell membranes healthy, as well as reducing inflammation in our body. This will improve skin at a cellular level, giving us softer, smoother and more hydrated skin. Aim for 2 serves of oily fish per week.
2. Romaine Lettuce: High in vitamin A which helps increase skin cell turnover and revitalizes skin, giving us a more youthful appearance.
3. Avocado: Packed with antioxidants and vitamins C and E which protect the skin against oxidative (free-radical) damage that can lead to dull and aging skin. These nutrients increase collagen formation and improve the elasticity of our skin, reducing fine lines and premature aging and improving skin tone and texture.
4. Pumpkin seeds: High in zinc and protein needed for the normal functioning of our sebaceous (oil) glands in the skin. Zinc assists in repairing skin damage, helps to control breakouts and keeps our skin soft and supple. Zinc also boosts the immune system, reducing infection and bacteria that can lead to breakouts and acne.
5. Berries (especially strawberry, blueberry and goji) & pomegranates: super high in vitamin C and antioxidants which protect against free-radical damage, promote even skin tone and protect our skin against the skins of aging. Berries also contain the antioxidant quercetin which protects against UV rays that can cause skin cancer.
6. Green tea: The antioxidants in green tea, particularly EGCG, helps fight inflammation and reduces redness in the skin.
Start incorporating these foods into your daily diet, along with plenty of water to improve your complexion from the inside out.
Written by Tristen Van Der Kley
Balanced Body Nutrition
IG: @balanced.body.nutrition https://www.instagram.com/balanced.body.nutrition/